The following past Project Timeline – 222 Corfield Street South is from the Island Crisis Care Society website. Please refer to the bottom of this document for links.
Funding and Open House announcement for Supportive Housing project.
1. March 9, 2018 Parksville Qualicum Beach News: https://www.pqbnews.com/news/6-9-announced-for-up-to-50-supportive-housing-units-in-parksville/
2. Parksville Qualicum Beach News March 19, 2018: https://www.pqbnews.com/news/open-house-set-for-parksville-supportive-housing-project/
3. Nanaimo News Now March 9, 2018: http://nanaimonewsnow.com/article/571175/50-unit-supportive-housing-project-coming-parksville
4. Times Colonist March 10: http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/parksville-modular-housing-project-to-help-homeless-planned-1.23197649
5. The Lounge 99.9FM March 12, 2018: http://www.thelounge999.com/2018/03/12/50-unit-supportive-housing-project-coming-to-parksville/
6. BC Housing March 9, 2018: https://www.bchousing.org/news?newsId=1479150901119
8. BC Government News Release March 9, 2018: https://archive.news.gov.bc.ca/releases/news_releases_2017-2021/2018MAH0020-000373.htm
9. BC Gov News March 9, 2018: https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2018MAH0020-000373
11. Vancouver Courier March 10, 2018: http://www.vancourier.com/2.2065/parksville-modular-housing-project-to-help-homeless-planned-1.23197649
12. Nanaimo News Bulletin March 9, 2018: https://www.nanaimobulletin.com/news/6-9-announced-for-up-to-50-supportive-housing-units-in-parksville/
1) Parksville Qualicum Beach News March 27, 2017 https://www.pqbnews.com/news/location-funding-kick-start-parksville-housing-and-shelter-project/
2) Nanaimo New Now – On Monday, March 27, 2017, the Regional District of Nanaimo provided a $700,000 grant for the City of Parksville to buy land on Corfield St. for new housing. It followed a $30,000 development grant from the province given to the City to support the project.
3) March 15, 2017: https://www.sosd69.com/blog/item/homeless-in-oceanside-a-community-forum
4) Regional District of Lantzville March 2017 news release: City Purchases Land for Supportive Housing http://www.rdn.bc.ca/news-release-march-27-2017
5) BC Housing: March 23, 2017 https://www.bchousing.org/news?newsId=1479148850796
6) The Beach 88.5FM, March 29, 2017 09:14 am: Land purchased for supportive housing in Parksville – http://www.885thebeach.com/2017/03/29/land-purchased-for-supportive-housing-in-parksville/
7) Wed, March 29, 2017: Parksville Council Agenda: https://parksville.civicweb.net/document/26940
8) March 31, 2017 My Coast Now: People are living in the Woods https://www.mycoastnow.com/29737/people-living-woods/
9) Parksville-Qualicum Beach News – April 3, 2017 https://www.pqbnews.com/news/video-a-huge-increase-in-visible-homeless-in-parksville-qualicum-beach/
10) Oct. 20, 2016 Parksville – Qualicum Beach News: More homeless, fewer services in Parksville Qualicum Beach: https://www.pqbnews.com/news/thursday-spotlight-more-homeless-fewer-services-in-parksville-qualicum-beach/
12) Nov. 20, 2017: https://www.bchousing.org/news?newsId=1479150285034
Oceanside Task Force receive government grant to a comprehensive proposal to determine what purpose-built housing project would best suit the needs of the local homeless.
3. Thursday, March 30, 2016 Oceanside Task Force on Homelessness hosted a Community Forum from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at the Parksville Community and Conference Centre.
4. MLA Newsletter 2016 http://michellestilwellmla.ca/wp-content/uploads/sites/42/2016/07/July-2016.pdf
5. May 2, 2016 Homeless Camping in Parksville City Parks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EycaQdEd6Ko
1. April 1, 2014: Number of homeless increasing in Parksville Qualicum Beach https://www.bclocalnews.com/news/number-of-homeless-increasing-in-parksville-qualicum-beach/
2. 2014 Oceanside Homelessness Needs Assessment : https://www.qualicumbeach.com/cms/wpattachments/wpID664atID3079.pdf
3. MARCH 25, 2014: RDN MINUTES OF THE REGULAR BOARD MEETING Oceanside Task Force on Homelessness Funding Request – Capacity Building to End Homelessness Reserve Fund.
MOVED Director Anderson, SECONDED Director Houle, that the Regional District of Nanaimo Board allocate $58,000 from the Reserve Fund to the Oceanside Task Force on Homelessness (under the auspices of the Society of Organized Services) to support the work of a Homelessness Coordinator for School District 69 for another year.
4. Mar 7, 2014 Homelessness in Oceanside – Shaw TV
1. The Task Force was approved for a federal grant that enabled it to hire a homeless co-ordinator, Sarah Poole.
1. Parksville Homeless count mentioned on Page 15.
Hales, Jennifer, 2010, “Learning about Homelessness in British Columbia: A Guide for Senior High-School Teachers,” Burnaby, BC, Canada: Department of Economics, Simon Fraser University, 166 pages.
Follow the link below for the PDF document version as provided by Island Crisis Care Society:
The above timeline, as well as further information on the Corfield Supportive Housing Project, can be found at https://www.islandcrisiscaresociety.ca/ . Once on the ICCS home page, follow the tabs Programs and 222 Corfield Street South. The Q&A, Timeline and other topics are under Important Links.